This textbook is packaged with Navigate 2 Advantage Access that unlocks a complete eBook, Study Center, homework and Assessment Center, and a dashboard that reports actionable data. Experience Navigate 2 today at www.jblnavigate.com/2.
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) and the International Association of Fire Chiefs (IAFC) are pleased to bring you the second edition of Chief Officer: Principles and Practice, designed to help learners make a smooth transition from company officer to chief officer. The Second Edition addresses both Fire Officer III and Fire Officer IV levels of the 2014 Edition of NFPA 1021: Standard for Fire Officer Professional Qualifications, combining current content with dynamic features and interactive technology to better support instructors and to help future chief officers become problem-solving leaders for their organizations.
Today’s fire service leaders must prepare themselves and those they lead for the changes that are likely to occur. Powerful trends—including political, ethical, legal, and sociological—are likely to continue shaping the fire service, impacting department structures and roles in the community, and altering the demands placed not only on fire service leaders but on the personnel they lead. Department leaders need to navigate changes that include demographic shifts, technological challenges, unforeseen court decisions, economic downturns, political turmoil, higher levels of emergency preparedness, and union-versus-management concerns. This new edition explains all of these concepts and more to build a solid foundation for aspiring chief officers.
The Second Edition includes:
- A clear division of Fire Officer III and IV content
- A discussion of ethics and how it impacts leadership
- Expanded information on communications as a chief officer
- How to meet the needs and rights of employees
The Second Edition features:
- Scenario-Based Learning. You are the Chief Officer and Chief Officer in Action are found in each chapter to encourage and foster critical thinking skills.
- Practical Tips for the Chief Officer. Chief Officer Tips and Voices of Experience essays are integrated into each chapter to provide helpful advice from experienced chief officers.
- Walk the Talk. Practical activities designed to expand the educational content and encourage students to take what they have learned in the chapter and apply it to their own departments.
© 2017 | 322 pages