Get the guidance to help improve organizational aspects of providing fire and emergency services in your community.
With the persistent threat of fire and dangers relating to natural disasters, epidemics, and terrorist attacks, communities broadly rely on the services and support offered by hazard response agencies. NFPA 1201, Standard for Providing Fire and Emergency Services to the Public, 2020 edition, is a leading resource for helping to ensure these departments and organizations are capable of protecting people and minimizing damage to property, infrastructure, and the local environment.
The standard applies to both municipal and private fire emergency service organizations (FESOs). Requirements cover everything from governance and administration and community planning to emergency operations, code enforcement, and more. NFPA 1201 promotes cultivating stronger alliances within communities, administrations, and other response agencies that play a role in:
- Fire prevention and suppression
- Public life safety education
- Emergency management
- Rescue and emergency medical service
- Hazardous materials response
- Law enforcement (e.g., incident investigation, code application enforcement)
- Response to other emergencies
The revised and expanded NFPA 1201 offers the most current criteria for safe, effective, and efficient all-hazard emergency service operations.
The 2020 edition of the Standard for Providing Fire and Emergency Services to the Public reflects the latest industry knowledge and best practices. The document features a variety of updates that can impact you in your job.
Notable changes include:
- Revisions to Chapter 4, Governance and Administration, with added requirements
- Altered provisions for projecting future emergency service needs from 20 years to 10 years to align with the accepted practice for master planning
- Added requirement to identify company staffing models as part of intercommunity organization
- Updated references, extracted material, and definitions for improved accuracy and clarity throughout
Have confidence you are accessing the most relevant requirements for providing the public with fire and emergency services.
NFPA is a leading organization focused on providing the resources and support to reduce the impacts of fire and emergency hazards. Keep your information and operations on the cutting edge with NFPA 1201, Standard for Providing Fire and Emergency Services to the Public, 2020 edition.